Credits Acceptable Use Policy
last modified on 03/31/2020
Credits are digital content (i.e., digital currency) that can only be purchased from Elektricity. Elektricity initially introduced Credits as a way for viewers to celebrate moments and express appreciation for others and events; we refer to this as Tipping.
We want to build a positive experience with Credits on Elektricity for creators and their community. One way to do that is to introduce a common understanding of how Credits can serve the community on Elektricity, in addition to identifying activities that are not appropriate with Credits. Publishing this Acceptable Use Policy (“Policy” or “AUP”) is a step in that direction.
This Policy applies to any Elektricity broadcaster or viewer that purchases, obtains, interacts with, or otherwise uses Credits. We may change this Policy from time to time with such changes effective upon posting online or otherwise providing you an updated version. We encourage you to review this Policy on a regular basis.
Your use of Credits is further subject to and governed by Elektricity’s Terms of Service, Elektricity’s Terms of Sale, and Community Guidelines. In the event of a conflict between this Policy and those agreements, this Policy shall control.
Two ground rules to orient your Credits experience. Keep these principles in mind whether you are a creator, viewer, or any other party:
Credits are a money instrument
Credits are digital content intended to be purchased and consumed on Elektricity.
Credits can be directly exchanged for items or services of value
Engage in an exchange of Credits for items or services that typically are associated with a cost or value. Communities can gather to achieve a goal that unlocks a benefit or experience for the community (explained further below). Creators can also announce benefits in response to individual Tips.
That said, we encourage you to do the following with Credits:
- Celebrate amazing moments, show support for broadcasters, and be recognized.
- Express appreciation for Tipping and acknowledge chat messages that include Credits, whether via overlays or other forms.
- Establish goals for Credits usage by the community that could unlock, or provide, community benefits or content; create leaderboards; trigger content or provide rewards to viewers for collective Credits usage. Several examples follow:
- Broadcaster announces that they will answer a specific question if ten people Tip 1 Credit in the next five minutes.
- Broadcaster announces that they will cover a certain depending on the votes of the community based on the number of Credits tipped in a 10 minute span.
- Broadcaster operates a voting mechanism based on Credits to determine whether to arrange a meetup for the community.
Now the Don’ts that constitute violations of this policy:
- Don’t solicit Credits in exchange for money or donations, and don’t request money or donations for Credits.
- Selling, offering to sell, trading, bartering, or transferring Credits to other users of Elektricity in exchange for (a) real or virtual currencies (e.g. Bitcoin); or (b) any other items of value whether inside or outside the Elektricity Services. Any attempted prohibited sale or transfer will be null and void.
- Using Credits as a bet or wager or soliciting or accepting Credits for a bet or wager.
- Use Credits to engage in any fraudulent, criminal or other unauthorized activity, or soliciting or receiving Credits for any fraudulent, criminal or other unauthorized activity. Keep in mind the Community Guidelines also apply to your use of Credits.
Ads for Credits
From time to time, Elektricity may make available an opportunity to watch an advertisement in exchange for Credits. Such opportunities may be limited by third-party advertisement inventory or other elements, and Elektricity does not guarantee that Credits will be available at all times or at any given time. We remind you that this AUP applies to Credits that you may obtain from those opportunities. As such, you should not use Ads for Credits as a means to obtain Credits to Tip on your own channel, such as creating accounts for the purpose of using Ads for Credits. Credits are not designed as a means to transfer money. You may also not use robots, or other automated means, to obtain Credits using the Ads for Credits feature; such activity is prohibited.
Violations of this Policy
Any violations or attempted violations of this Policy by you (or any third party acting on your behalf) will constitute a violation of the Terms of Service, including this Policy, by you and a material breach of any other applicable agreement, and/or supplements to any applicable agreement(s), with Elektricity.
Additionally, a violation may result in civil or criminal liability, and Elektricity, in its sole discretion, in addition to any remedy that it may have at law or in equity, may immediately terminate permission for you to use Credits. Elektricity may bring legal action to enjoin violations and/or collect damages caused by any violation of any part of this AUP.
Elektricity’s failure to enforce this AUP in every instance in which it might have application does not amount to a waiver of Elektricity’s rights.