Nudity, Pornography, and Other Sexual Content
last modified on 03/31/2020
We restrict content that involves nudity or is sexual in nature, and are committed to ensuring that Elektricity is not used for sexual exploitation or violence. To provide more clarity around these policies and how we review reports of such content or activity, we’ve provided additional details to complement our Community Guidelines in the sections below.
While we understand that some nudity or sexual content might be intended for educational, scientific, artistic, newsworthy, or academic purposes, we restrict this content due to the diversity in age and cultural backgrounds of our community. We may, in limited educational and artistic contexts, make pre-approved exceptions to these policies. Going forward, Elektricity will continue working on ways to safely support nudity and sexual content in these particular contexts.
- Sexual Violence and Exploitation
- Sexually Explicit Content
- Sexually Suggestive Content
- Nudity and Attire
- Additional Restrictions
- Reporting Sexual Content Violations
Sexual Violence and Exploitation
Sexual violence and exploitation are strictly prohibited and may be reported to law enforcement. Examples include, but are not limited to:
- Sexual assault and molestation, or content that encourages or promotes it
- Content containing a person in a state of nudity or engaged in sexual acts
- Sexually suggestive or explicit content (audio or visual), shared or threatened to share without permission of the person depicted, such as revenge porn
- Unsolicited offers, solicitation, demands, bribes, or blackmail for sexual content and services
- Sexual services, including prostitution, escort services, sexual massages, and filmed sexual activity
- Any nudity, sexual content, sexual violence, or sexual exploitation that involves minors, appears to involve minors, or depictions of minors, or content that encourages or promotes pedophilia
Sexually Explicit Content
Sexually explicit content and activities, such as pornography, sexual acts, and sexual services, including solicitation and offers for such content, are prohibited.
Broadcasting in areas where nudity or sexual activity may be taking place, even if such conduct or activity is not at the direction of the broadcaster or takes place in the background of the broadcast, is prohibited.
Sexually Suggestive Content
Sexually suggestive content is prohibited. When reviewing this type of sexual content or activity, we will consider its intent and context based on a number of factors including, but not limited to:
- Behavior and commentary
- Reaction to content, such as chat messages from the broadcaster, moderators, and what chat messages they permit in their community
- Attire and environment, such as location and background music, props, etc.
- Camera framing, angle, and focus
- Stream attributes, such as title, intros/outros, custom thumbnail, and other metadata
Profile and channel content, such as banners, profile image, emotes, and panels.
Nudity and Attire
Streaming is a public activity, therefore we recommend creators wear attire that is appropriate public attire for a given context, intent, or activity. For most at home streams, and profile/channel imagery, we recommend attire appropriate for public settings, such as what you would wear on a public street, or to a mall or restaurant. For example, for a fitness stream, or an IRL stream from a location such as a public beach, attire appropriate to those public contexts is recommended, such as workout clothes or a swimsuit, respectively. As noted in the section above, attire is just one factor of many that we consider when evaluating reports for potential sexual conduct.
Attire intended to be sexually suggestive and nudity are prohibited. Attire (or lack of attire) intended to be sexually suggestive includes undergarments, intimate apparel, or exposing/focusing on male or female genitals, buttocks, or nipples.
- Please note that Elektricity may make exceptions for content that Elektricity seeks to license, and that is rated by a ratings body or otherwise pre-screened by Elektricity.
- Conversations about sex, nudity, and other mature topics that are intended to be educational and otherwise comply with our policies should be marked as Mature Content via the respective channel’s settings.
I accidentally showed content that was sexually explicit. Will my account be suspended?
As owner of your account, it’s entirely your responsibility to ensure that anything shared on your account abides by Elektricity’s Terms of Service (ToS) and Community Guidelines (CG). If you are unsure if a link, photo, video, or other content in your broadcast breaks these, we suggest that you review it privately before airing it on your broadcast. Content that breaks ToS or CG, whether shown accidentally or on purpose, can be reported and moderation may take appropriate action on that content, including removing the content and issuing on a suspension on your account. Given the nature of live content, we expect you to take proper precautions; even one incident may warrant action.
Why aren’t there specific rules about what clothing is and isn’t allowed on Elektricity?
As Elektricity continues to expand the variety of content we feature, so comes the need for updating the range of attire that is acceptable. For example, something that is acceptable for a broadcast at the beach or the gym may not be acceptable for a cooking or gameplay broadcast. In an effort to help creators abide by our Community Guidelines in the same way they would expectations of behavior in the real world, we’ve updated our policies to reflect that we will consider not just the attire itself, but also the contextual setting in which it is worn and the intent of the person wearing it, when moderating content. Please remember that sexually explicit or suggestive content, such as nudity exposing or focusing on genitals, buttocks, or nipples, and attire intended to be sexually suggestive are prohibited.
I’m an artist and I want to paint a nude portrait not intended to be sexual. Is that prohibited?
As we do not yet provide sufficient tools for viewers to limit their exposure to nudity and mature content, artistic and educational nudity are not allowed. We are working on ways to make this possible in the future.